I’ve been meaning to start blogging Wyatt updates for a few days now, but the time hasn’t been there yet! I think I can whip this one out today. :-) I’ll just bullet point everything up till now, and then go from there!
– After Wyatt was born, they put him on oxygen, an IV, a tube into his belly (that helped keep moisture out of it from the breathing tube), and various other monitoring devices. The oxygen and tube into his belly were more of a precaution, and were removed by Monday morning. His lungs and breathing are doing AWESOME, which we are so thankful for!!
– Wyatt’s blood type is different than mine, and on top of being born early, that is the root cause of all of this that follows…
– Wyatt’s bilirubin numbers are high, and this is what causes jaundice. If it is not treated, it can lead to brain damage, so it’s very important to get these numbers under control. (NOTE: Wyatt’s numbers aren’t anywhere near high enough to cause damage, and he is being treated, so there is no danger for him, it’s just a slow process to bring these under control).
– For the first couple of days, Wyatt’s bilirubin numbers were high, but not at the “he needs treatment” levels, even though everyone knew that’s where they were headed
– All of my days have blended together, but I think it was Tuesday morning that he ended up in light treatment for the bilirubin and jaundice. They started him in an open bed that just had a light underneath him, but he wasn’t maintaining his temperature well (he can’t be swaddled or clothed when he’s in light treatment), so they put him in an incubator.
– At this point, we were still able to take him out for feedings and cuddle time.
– Tuesday evening his numbers were still climbing and they added a third light to his incubator, and we had to relegate all our feedings to the incubator itself (where we put our hands through the little holes). This was the hardest point, when we couldn’t even hold him anymore.
– Wednesday morning his numbers had flattened, and he was able to be taken off of light treatment and off his IV!! He was still in the incubator (they don’t like to change too many things at once), but we were able to hold him for feedings, and just hold him in general. He poops at every feeding, which is great because babies poop the bilirubin out…so the more he eats, the more he poops, the healthier he gets!
– When we went in for the Thursday morning 6am feeding, he was back under the lights. :-( This was so demoralizing for us. His numbers had climbed again, and it really started to hit me how long we may be here. I kept having these grandeur notions that we would be going home this week, but I’m letting that go. It’s not going to be this week. I try not to ask too much about it, because I KNOW that they want him to be able to go home just as much as we do, and we’re so very thankful that they are all taking care of him so well. We’re back to not being able to hold him, but only every other feeding.
– The bilirubin numbers are complicated because it’s based on how many hours old the baby is…so it obviously changes constantly. So for instance, on Tuesday when he went under the lights, his number was 9.9, and it went up to 10.2, which is when he went under the triple lights. It pretty much leveled out there, but then this morning jumped to 14. However, the 14 is equivalent to the 9.9 from Tuesday so it’s not like his numbers have skyrocketed. I don’t really get it, but I don’t need to.
So, at this point, here’s what needs to happen for him to come home:
– His bilirubin numbers need to drop! And he needs to maintain that after he is out of light treatment.
– He needs to start eating better. He does ok, but gets SO sleepy because of the jaundice that sometimes it’s hard to get him to eat. He’s getting better though, especially as my milk comes in and he gets more of that than the formula.
– He needs to poop! He is actually doing well with pooping, but he just needs to continue pooping because that will help the bilirubin numbers to drop as he poops out the bilirubin.
– He needs to maintain/gain weight. This is a hard thing at his age, and ultimately if he can prove that he can eat well, that is great.
Once his bilirubin numbers are under control, he will be moved to an open crib (one of the normal newborn cribs), and stay there to be observed for 24-48 hours. Then if everything is going well, we’ll maybe be able to begin the discharge process.
WHAT TO PRAY FOR:
Prayers for little Wyatt are so welcome, as well as for us. Ben is doing really well balancing being here with me, working on the house, and working in general (as his work just doesn’t let up), but he needs rest so he doesn’t wear himself too thin. I’m still at the hospital which is such a huge blessing that they let me stay, so prayers that I can continue to stay here until he is discharged, prayers for rest (last night was the first time since Friday night that I slept longer than 2 hours…I think I hit 3!), and I’m exhausted but having a hard time resting, especially during the day. And prayers for peace. This is HARD. Every day it gets harder as all we want is to be home. This all took us by such surprise, and I never envisioned not being able to bring our baby home, and not being able to cuddle him whenever we want. We are grateful for the care he is receiving, and grateful that ultimately, nothing is bad…it just takes time. God is in control, and we know that, but welcome your prayers for peace!